Monday, November 09, 2009

Love and Marriage

There I go again, leaving you hanging. I'm sure my two faithful readers are wanting an update on my life. Sadly, nothing majorly exciting has been going. Oh, Nick did add me to his cell phone plan! If you want my new #, holler at me. Even though I didn't get a fancy Iphone or Blackberry, it's still pretty exciting to have a new phone!

131 Days till my wedding day! We have sooo much left to do! I made a list of things we have left to do and it was overwhelming so I'm not looking at the list anymore! We did decide on our wedding favors though. I'm really excited about it! We're doing a candy buffet!! It's a growing trend at weddings these days, however we decided on it because we felt the need to add color and fun to our informal, dining hall reception vendor. It was either that or matches that said, "The Perfect Match." I'm still waiting for my wedding dress to come in. I ordered it back in....July and I'm starting to think it's going to take the whole 18 weeks to get here like the bridal shop said it would. It wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the worry and concern I'm feeling that I won't fit into my dress! I tried my dress on in my size and it fit me perfectly, maybe 2 inches to spare and now I'm worried I may not fit into it! I've tired staying away from sweets and telling myself I'm not hungry when I just ate 2 hours ago, but apparently I don't have enough self-control like I thought I did because that hasn't been working for me. I keep telling Nick that he's the cause of my over-eating problem - 1) he's a great cook, I love every meal he makes, 2) he loves my body and refusing to think I'm fat, and 3) he loves dessert more than I do so there's been a few times where he's eaten chocolate in front of me and said it was ok for me to have some when he knew I was trying to resist sweets! Oh well. I guess I'll just try the dress on when it comes in and if I don't fit into it then I'll go a crash diet like, Slim Fast or the all fruits and veggies diet.

We had our first of three counseling sessions this morning. The church we're getting married at requires at least three pre-martial counseling sessions with the pastor that's marrying you. It was really good, I already learned something. We're going to working through this workbook called, " Getting Ready for Marriage." I'm not usually a fan of workbooks, but this one looks promising. Nick and I talk about EVERYTHING! We were best friends before we started dating so when we finally got together we were comfortable enough to be ourselves around each other, I mean farts, poop stories, bad breath, and inappropriate jokes. In going to counseling, I don't think we'll discover things we haven't talked about, however I do think we'll benefit from hearing advice from our pastor, someone who's been married for 15 years. Nick and I didn't have the greatest examples of marriage growing up so we're really interested in learning and talking through how to make God the center of your marriage and household and how to argue fairly. There's something to be said for us knowing what things we don't want for our marriage and what mistakes we've witnessed in parents' marriages that we've learned from. I think most couples we know haven't talked about that yet or didn't talk about that before they got married. We're not naive in thinking marriage will always be blissful with a few arguments over the years, no. Marriage is hard work, as one of my best friends put it best when he said, "everyday you have to decide to love that person and there will be days when, believe it or not, that will be hard."

Marriage is not based on feelings or hopes that they'll never change or will change, it's based on a commitment you make to love that person till death separates you. I know that during our lifetime together, Nick will change, his desires, wishes, and dreams will change, maybe his bad habits or hobbies will change, but one thing will remain the same throughout the years, I will love him. I will love him when he's old, when he's stubborn, when he's sick, when we're arguing, when he feels alone, and even when no one is looking, I will love him. There's no one else I can see myself loving as much as I love Nick. Loving Nick is easy. I know there will be times when it may be hard for me to love him, but I will always choose to love him. I can't wait to build our lives together!

No comments: