Thursday, October 01, 2009

2 Year Anniversary

Nick and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary a few weeks ago - September 16th! It's hard to believe it's already been two years! I have such a great memory and I often think about the past that it seems hard to believe it's been 2 years, time has gone by so fast! We have been through so much together - graduating from college, applying for grown up jobs, getting real world jobs, losing jobs, 2 deaths in Nick's family, arguments with our parents, paying bills, and becoming adults together - learning from one another's mistakes and successes! The greatest part of all is all of those things have brought us closer together. Those events whether big or small, sad or happy, they allowed us to learn more about each other, to lean on each other for support and encouragement, and to become a team. The most valuable lesson we've come to appreciate is we will always back each other up when it comes to dealing with other people. Whether it's our parents, our friends, co-workers, neighbors, or strangers - we will always build the other person up and support the other person. I came to realize how truly great it feels when you know your future husband, your best friend, your soon to be life partner, stands beside you, no matter what you say in front of others. To me, that is important and invaluable! How horrible it would be if we argued in front of his parents or my co-workers simply over having a difference in opinion. There's something to be said when you're united as one and are not afraid to show that whenever you're in front of other people. Another valuable lesson we've learned is to pick your battles. A few months into our relationship we had our first argument, I couldn't even tell you what it was about. That started a long string of arguments because I like to argue - I'll admit it. The funny thing is I like to resolve arguments quickly, but I love picking arguments. Well one day we just had both had enough of arguing, we were sick of it! Over time we learned to pick our battles. I grew up hearing that saying, but I never knew what it meant. It doesn't mean I don't get mad at Nick or that we don't argue anymore. For us it means, we try to think more before we speak and we try to ask ourselves - "is this going to matter in the morning?," "is this going to bother me when we get married?" Answering those questions before you start arguing can really help! Several times I've caught myself getting worked up, but then I calm down and decide to postpone the conversation or just simply say to him, "it's not important to me anymore that we talk about this. Can we stop talking about it?" Some topics or problems that come up aren't worth arguing over. It's like growing up when your brother or sister had a toy that you wanted and you threw a fit to have it then suddenly you realized it wasn't worth the effort, you'd rather just play together or you no longer wanted the toy?! Anyways, those are just a few things I've learned along the way, I'm not an expert on love though. It's been a great 2 years, 2 weeks, and 3 days! I love Nick more than ever before and I can't imagine anyone better to spend the rest of my life with! I'm going to enjoy life with my best friend forever!

No comments: