Monday, October 18, 2010

Fighting to Save our Dream Home

So I'm being told it's been a long time since I put an entry in the blog. So I need to type something. This is my something.....

Well, honestly I don't have too much to talk about that Melanie hasn't mentioned already. Last week I was off between jobs, but it wasn't as productive as I had hoped it would be. Spending 3 days dealing with the car search and finalizing the papers with the insurance company contributed to the lack of productivity.

Perhaps the most significant update is that we may be at risk of losing our house, our dream house. We found out via a nice, caring neighbor that the NC Turnpike Authority is considering at least 2 new alternatives to the I-540 Southern Expressway. Apparently the original route (orange route) that has been protected for about 20 years is no longer sufficient for the Turnpike Authority. Last week they informed the public that they are considering two new alternatives (blue and purple routes) that take 540 further south. After studying the maps and the paper work, if the blue route is chosen we'd lose our house and the entire neighborhood we live in would be demolished.

Let me explain a little bit more. At this point the NC Turnpike Authority is informing the public of their intent to choose one of the two new alternative routes to study further and compare it to the original route's impact. The decision will be made in November. So during this time the NC Turnpike is asking for our feedback as to which route will be the best route. They'll read every comment and then make the decision. After the decision of which route to study is made, they'll study the impact of putting the road in, but won't make a decision about construction until 2013 with starting construction in 2013.

Needless to say, we were very pissed off because these routes were not posted anywhere until the last week or two so we couldn't have known when we bought the house.


Please, join our fight by submitting your feedback. Visit http://www.ncturnpike.org/projects/southeast/contact.asp and tell them you don't want your friends and family to lose their houses!

Unfortunately we only have until October 22nd to submit feedback. Help us save our house and home!!!!!!!

We'll keep you updated on our fight.

Despite the anger, I channeled it to finish cutting down a tree in the front yard. My parents came down and help Saturday with some yard work. My dad helped me replace the mailbox post. It's amazing how much difference a nice, clean looking mailbox post makes! While Dad was helping me, Mom and Melanie were digging up the HUGE juniper bush in the front yard. At the end of the day we got 3/4 of the bush dug up and Dad also helped me start clearing out the clogged culvert pip under the driveway. During our efforts on the bush, we had 2 neighbors stop by and thank us for digging up the bush and for actually caring for our house and property. These comments only strengthened our believe that the previous owners didn't care to up keep their yard. We found so much random trash under the Juniper bush. Doing yard work in our yard is like going on a treasure hunt, you never know what you're going to find.

Well, that's enough about those adventures. I started my new job today and it's pretty exciting.

Well, that's it from me today.
-NT

No comments: