Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I Do

It's really been on my heart lately to write a blog about marriage. I know I briefly wrote about how my view of the level of difficulty of marriage has changed since getting married, but I'd like to vent a little about divorce. Why do people think that by getting married their spouse will change or that by getting married their circumstances will improve or that being married will make them happier?? Before Nick and I got married we had lots of discussion about our views on divorce and we came to the agreement that if we have major issues that come up, then we will exhaust every resource and we will both have to work to get out of the marriage. It seems that the seriousness behind the commitment of marriage has been lost. The media has presented marriage as a temporary thing. And it's so funny to watch movies that show a married couple waking up with smiles on their faces and full of passion for 1 another right when they wake up. Reality is that hitting the snooze button or discussing who is going to shower first or what bills need to be put in the mail that day are usually more likely to occur. I think the media has caused lots of people to have this glamorous idea of what marriage and love is about. I wish there were more shows out there that portrayed real couples dealing with everyday life. I am so blessed to have the peace behind my decision to marry Nick. There is no doubt in my mind that God wrote our love story and that He called us to be together. I feel very fortunate to have that assurance, I know not every married couple can say that. I also feel extremely blessed to have my best friend as my husband. Notice that I didn't say, my husband as my best friend. Nick was my best friend first and that is how our love began. I can and do tell him everything. Marriage is not about being in love, you fall in love first and then get married to express your commitment to that love. You may not always experience butterflies in your stomach or have sweet notes in your lunch box (like Nick does for me sometimes) but instead you believe in the love that you share and hold on to it when times get tough. I meant what I said, when I said "I do."

No comments: