Thursday, February 10, 2011

Just a Few Random Thoughts

1. Our propane tank is empty again. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't snowing outside. I refuse to pay more propane and here's why - we have already had the propane tank filled twice now so that means we've gone through 250 gallons or more and we've spent over $600 in 3.5 months. And I wouldn't have a problem with getting it refilled again if it was toasty warm in our house, but we have not keep the thermostat above 68 degrees. In the last 3 weeks we've kept it at 65 degrees. So we bought a $29 space heater that is supposed to "heat a large room." We'll see how well it works. We plugged it in last night and it ran for an hour and the thermostat read that the temperature had gone up 5 degrees. By next winter we'll have new siding on our house and new windows so hopefully that will make a difference. We're also going to use the space heater the entire winter to make the propane last longer. I love NC, but the weather is ridiculous! It's snowing today and on Saturday it's suppose to be sunny and warmer.

2. I have started selling things on Craig List again. I'm getting tired of seeing stuff laying around our house that we're never going to use. We have 3 bedrooms that only have stuff that we don't want. We had a yard sale before we got married in hopes of making money to pay for our wedding and to get rid of extra stuff, but we still have things in boxes from the yard sale that we never got rid of. I'm not a fan of donating stuff unless I know it's not worth much. I'll donate nick-nacks, but I'm not going to donate clothes that are in great condition that I spent lots of money on. For the moms out there, a great way to get rid of your kids' clothes and toys is to sell them at an annual children's sale. You can see if your area has 1 every year by searching online, in newspapers, and on Craig List. If your area doesn't have 1 then organize your own - you could ask your church to host it.

3. Our anniversary is coming up very soon! It's hard to believe it's almost been a year since we got married. I am ready for a vacation. We are renting a cabin in Pigeon Forge. I have already made lists of what to pack, what food to buy, and what movies and board games to bring. We are big on quality time and we love doing simple things during our quality time. We are most excited about the jacuzzi and jetted hot tub that will be at the cabin! I watched Boy Meets World this morning - it was the episode where Corey and Topanga are on their honeymoon and it made me think of our honeymoon and how hot and relaxing it was. We've talked about going back to Jamaica some day, but it's too expensive for us to think about going right now.

4. Nick's company announced that they were bought out by Cisco. I'm not thrilled about it but I'm getting use to the idea. There are some benefits to him working for Cisco. One of the appealing things is the building he will be working in has child care on the first floor. So we've talked about looking into that as an option for us when we have kids. I'm not sure how much it will cost, if there's a waiting list, and if it work for us, but I'm pleased with having it as an option. The thought of one day having kids that can be taken care of in the same building Nick is working in is very appealing. It would be neat for him to check on them during the day.

5. It's only the second week in February and I have already taken advantage of some great deals! Here's just a few - Food Lion had Dove deodorant on sale for 2 for $4 (you don't have to pay 2 to get the discounted price) and I had a $2 off coupon so I got the deodorant for free! Harris Teeter had Gillette Clinical Strength deodorant on sale for $4.99 which is a great price (normally it's $7.50-$8.99) and I had a buy one, get one free coupon so I got 2 deodorants for $5 which made it $2.50 each.

6. I really want a puppy. We want a lab - no preference on color, though my number 1 choice is a yellow lab, then chocolate, then black. It will be an outside dog so we have to get our fence repaired and a dog house built. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait to get a dog. Doing yard work in the snow is not an option so the warm weather cannot come soon enough so we can work on our backyard and then get a puppy.

No comments: