Friday, July 20, 2007

I'M AN ADDICT

Ok it's true, I am addicted to caffine! I think everyone is addicted to something. I believe our society & the American culture, not only makes addictions seem normal, but we're encouraged to be addicted to something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rationalizing my addiction to caffine, but I am trying to comfort myself by telling myself that I'm not alone! I must admit to you that my addiction is pretty bad....well all addictions are bad because being addicted to something means you can't function without it & when you don't have it, you go through withdrawals. So I guess I'd say I go through some pretty intense withdrawals whenever I don't get my fix of caffine for the day! Last semester....ok the last 2 semesters, I had at least 4 caffinated sodas a day! My favorite drink of choice was Diet Coke! I would get a 12-pack at Wal-Mart in the beginning of the week & I'd be done with it by the weekend. I didn't realize just how addicted I was to caffine until this summer during a trip to South Boston. We got to South Boston & stopped for a bite to eat & I had a Mountain Dew with my dinner, my first caffine fix of the day! Shortly after dinner, about 10 minutes later, I started feeling my heart racing & it really got my attention. So after that it was like, ok I'm addicted there's no doubt! Well it's hard to stop doing something that you've done for so long that you never saw anything wrong with doing & then suddenly see a problem with it & think that you can just quick doing it, life doesn't work that way! Alright so a month later, yesterday, on my way into my 3-hour long night class, I decided that I was a little tired & needed some caffine in me! Yeah bad decision. I drank just half of my 12 oz Diet Pepsi Max when I started feeling anxious, it was horrible! I had to sit through a 55-minute video about Schizophrenia & Depression with my heart racing & my palms sweating, I thought I was gonna pass out! So now I've had my second awakening of just how horrible caffine really is for my body & I still don't know if I can quick drinking it! Any suggestions? Oh & just so you're educated, 68% of Diet Pepsi Max is caffine.

No comments: