Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I Couldn't Survive Being Single

It's official, going grocery shopping by myself is not fun! Tonight I went to Wal-Mart for our bi-weekly grocery trip. Nick had to work late, he was asked to join a meeting from 5 until 6 earlier this week so we knew he was going to work late, but we didn't realize how badly we would need to go grocery shopping before Friday. I almost took a picture of our pantry to show people how little food we had in there. I've gone grocery shopping by myself once before today and that time wasn't that bad because we only needed a few things, today was a lot harder shopping trip.

Here's why I hate going by myself -
1. There's no one there to remind you of things you need. This leads to lots of extra walking and coming home to realize you forgot to buy something.
2. There's no one there to help you with math to determine which comparable item is cheapest, which leads to not getting the best deal.
3. I can't pick out meat by myself - it's overwhelming and I don't pay attention to what cuts of meat we eat! Thankfully Nick was able to talk me through it over the phone.
4. Apparently Nick is the one that keeps our cart organized and neat. Today my cart looked really full and I was worried about having to pile things on top of each other. People probably thought I was shopping for a four-person household.
5. There's no one there to help me load the items onto the belt at checkout. So I get tired and I feel like I have a never-ending amount of groceries in my cart!
6. I don't have Nick's help to load the bags into the cart so it ends up looking like a hot mess. I'm so glad the carton of eggs did not get smashed.
7. There's no one there to help load the groceries into the car. This is a very hard task for me. Maybe it's hard because of the 100 degree heat outside.
8. And the biggest reason I don't like going grocery shopping without Nick, it's fun when he's there because I get to beg and joke with him untill we agree that I can buy sweets that I don't need, but want.

Thankfully Nick was home when I was done shopping so I did get his help carrying the groceries inside and putting them away. I cannot organize our freezer to save my life! When we were dating I would go grocery shopping with Nick and when we would get back to his apartment, I would put everything away and not touch anything that belonged in the freezer. I still do this. All those boxes, bags of chicken, chicken nuggets, meats, ice cream, etc. how do you make it all fit into the freezer??! I can't do it!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I don't know MOT, I can't do it either. Its insane how much gets packed in there. Anytime I put something away in the freezer the next time Jon opens the door all of it falls out onto the floor.